Overseas Education Allowance (OEA)

Proper preparation prevents poor performance.
Plan ahead with ABBEY.


The Overseas Education Allowance (OEA) assists civil servants in educating their children in the United Kingdom. Civil servants who were appointed before August 1, 1996 are eligible for the allowance.

An eligible officer can enjoy the allowance if the following criteria are fulfilled:

  • An officer may claim allowance from the beginning of the term in which his children reach the age of 9 up to the end of the term in which his children turn 19.
  • Eligible children must be receiving full-time education in the UK. The school they are attending must have been approved by the Government of Hong Kong.
  • An eligible officer may claim allowance for up to four dependent children at any one time, provided that he is not in receipt of similar benefits under his spouse’s terms of employment.
How can we help you?
How did you hear about us?